6 Reasons to Get a Home Wireless Router
Learn more about a home wireless network and the devices you can connect.
A wireless router allows you to connect multiple devices to high speed internet such as a cable modem, more familiarly called WI-FI. It seems everyone uses this at work, at Starbucks or at school to connect their laptop or tablet to the internet. Let’s explore 5 reasons to set WI-FI up at home.
- Watch Streaming Media from the Internet on your T.V. -- such as Netflix, YouTube, or NFL Game>>Rewind
- Connect your Gaming Console to the Internet -- Play online against live opponents or stream Netflix thru your console.
- Stream Music Wirelessly through your Home -- Setup an iPAD and speakers throughout your home and connect to your favorite music wirelessly.
- Connect a Laptop or Tablet to the Internet -- Work or play on your mobile device anywhere in your home without hard lining into the modem. Wireless Printer -- Set up a wireless printer on you network and anyone connected to you network can print from one printer.
- Connect Network Attached Storage -- Everyone in your family can save their pictures and data on one central network storage such as a 1TB Western digital External Hard Drive.
Manufacturers that make reputable home wireless routers and I would recommend to friends are Linksys by Cisco, NETGEAR and D-Link. Personally all of my routers have been Linksys because they offer affordable routers ranging from basic to high performance needs. So you want one, but how do you know which one to purchase. Well, I can give you some generalizations, such as, more antennas means the range or area your router will reach farther, which is important if you have a larger home or secure your wireless network if you don’t want anyone to steal your connection. BUT, your best bet is to talk to a professional either a local IT Consulting Business or the manufacturer themselves or better yet, BOTH.